remember how I promised a recipe for the oatmeal made with dates a couple of days ago? well here it is! as I mentioned before, cooking the date in the oatmeal gives it a really nice sweet taste and it almost caramelizes. i topped my oatmeal with a bunch of blackberries and organic strawberries that i purchased from costco (woo!) a few days before.
you will need:
- 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 – 2 dates (your preference)
- toppings of choice; fruit, more chopped up dates, nuts, etc.
- combine water and milk in a small saucepan until it boils
- de-pit your dates if they don’t come pitted already.
- chop up your dates into smaller pieces so it cooks more easily
- after your water and milk mixture boils, turn the heat on medium and add in your oats
- stir your oats occasionally and add in your dates around 10 seconds after
- continue to stir your oats
- add in whatever else you want to and wait for oats to thicken to the consistency you enjoy
- once finished, scoop it out, top with the fruit and enjoy your warming bowl of dated oatmeal!