what does one do when you have a bunch of ripe fruit ready to eat, and there’s no way to eat it all? freeze them. toss ’em into a smoothie. attempt to finish them anyways. or, cook them in oatmeal!
it turned my oatmeal this gorgeous purple color and excited me to no end. sprinkled with dried figs, more chopped up dates & frozen blackberries plus some peanut butter seriously made some pretty bomb tastes explode inside my mouth.
on a slightly unrelated note, I can’t wait until I get to the bottom of my peanut butter jar for two reasons. 1 – I can finally buy a new jar! maybe I’ll try a different brand. but what to get? creamy? crunchy? roasted? raw? the choices, the choices. 2 – I can use the rest for overnight oats oh ho ho ho. its been a dream of mine to make overnight oats in that almost empty nut butter jar, and hopefully the day where it comes true won’t be too far away.
you will need:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 dates (some to cook with, some to top it with)
- 5 blackberries
- dried figs, frozen fruit, whatever toppings, etc.
- make the date oatmeal i posted earlier here
- just make sure to add in the blackberries when you add in the dates and stir thoroughly! you want to really mash up the berries and make sure their flavors seep into the oatmeal and it’ll get that nice purple color
- add whatever toppings you want and serve
notes: you can use also use blueberries instead of blackberries. i’ve never tried this with strawberries before, but if you do try it with other types of berries, be sure to leave me a comment on how it tasted! and of course, y’all have complete creative control: go crazy with the add-ins and toppings. this is just a base for you to build on!