I know I say this a lot, but this is seriously one of my most favorite combinations ever. whenever I have avocados and bread in my house, I just have to make this combo because it’s too good not to. i normally eat it as a spread on toast (like an open-faced sandwich), but recently, I’ve been arranging it like an actual sandwich and I have to say, it’s pretty darn good this way too.
fun fact: many people call this “smashed” avo on toast because of the lines the fork makes when you mash the avocado onto your piece of bread. i actually didn’t mean to put avocado and hummus together, but one day I had an abundance of both that I needed to
get rid of eat quickly, so I just decided to slap this combination together as a quick breakfast. little did I know that i would fall in love with this savory combo.
like i said, you can eat this in sandwich form, or just as a “spread” on a piece of toast type of breakfast. either is super yummy!
avocado and hummus sandwich / serves 1
you will need:
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 pieces of whole grain bread
- salt or pepper, to taste (opt.)
- pop your bread into a toaster
- slice your avocado in half (we’ll only be using half for this)
- take a fork and start mashing up the avocado inside it’s “shell”
- spread a tbsp. of hummus on one of your pieces of toast
- spread half your mashed avocado onto the same piece of toast, on top of the hummus
- repeat with the other piece of toast
- either eat separately, or layer on top of each other for a sandwich.
- you may also add salt and pepper or lemon juice to give things more flavor if you wish.